Arranging a funeral is no easy task, especially when you consider the emotions people are going through when they find themselves in this position. The wide variety of options you have in planning a loved ones’ funeral means you can feel lost in the decisions you must make.
This page on the website is here to provide you with some information about the options available when planning a funeral.
If you decide to contact us following a bereavement; once we’ve had our first conversation we would then arrange to meet to talk about some initial funeral arrangements. We would be happy to welcome you into our Funeral Home in High Lane, but we also understand that this doesn’t suit everyone’s needs, so Gary is more than willing to come and visit you at home or somewhere you feel the most comfortable.
When we meet to arrange the funeral, we will ask you about any personal requests for the organisation of the day, such as possible dates, times and locations. As well as this, we will also discuss your requirements for us to be able to arrange the perfect funeral for your loved one. We have listed some key questions below which you may want to start thinking about:
- Are there any dates you don’t want for the funeral? Such as any family birthdays that are approaching, anniversaries, holidays, hospital appointments.
- What type of coffin would you like? Such as solid wood, wood veneered, themed, picture, eco-coffins such as cardboard and wicker. These choices cover a wide range of both style and cost which we can guide you through.
- Are there any clothes you would like your loved one to be dressed in? When your loved one is laid to rest in the coffin you can choose to have them dressed in their personal clothes or in one or our gowns.
- Would you like to come into our funeral home in High Lane and spend some time with your loved one in our Chapel of Rest?
- Would you like your loved one embalmed?
- Is the funeral to be a cremation or burial?
- If a burial, do you own a grave?
- Yes – Who owns the grave and do you have any grave deeds?
- No – Do you have an idea of which cemetery/grave yard you want to go to? (we can help you with this)
- What sort of service would you like? For example, religious or non-religious?
- Where would you like the service to take place? (a religious place of worship, crematorium chapel, graveside, hall, etc.)
- Who would you like to take the service? We have plenty of local contacts for registered and highly trained people who we can contact on your behalf.
- What music, hymns, poems etc. would you like included in the service. When thinking of any music most crematoriums can download music for you so don’t worry if you don’t have a hard copy of any music choices.
- We understand that some families would like to have their loved one taken into Church the day before the funeral. This is something that we understand and will be happy to arrange this for you.
- How would you like to be transported to and from the service? We can arrange for a Hearse and/or Limousines to come to a pre-arranged address, then make our way to the place of service. Alternatively, if you would prefer, the Hearse will meet you at the service. If you want to travel in your own vehicles that isn’t a problem.
- Once the funeral has taken place you can either make your own way home or go somewhere afterwards to celebrate the life of your loved one. We can also arrange this for you.
Having spent some time with us discussing the options above, we can then arrange the funeral for you. If you have any other requests, we are happy to meet these to ensure the day runs perfectly for you.
Other options you may want to consider are:
- Orders of service, including book marks and memorial cards
- Obituary notices
- Choosing an Urn
- A chosen charity for donations
- Releasing Doves
- Choirs/gospel singers/brass bands
- A detour on route to the service to include a special place
- Horse drawn carriage
- Motorbike hearse
If you have any other questions or any requests then please do not hesitate to ask or call at any time. With our personalised service, we offer anything to ensure you have the unique funeral for your loved ones’ final journey.